Today, the City of Bloomington Economic Development Commission (EDC) will be meeting at noon (2015-01-23 at 12:00PM) in the Hooker Conference Room in City Hall. There are 3 substantive issues that will be covered in the meeting — issues that might be characterized as the good and the ugly in economic development. Unfortunately I don’t have a lot of time to write about this in much detail before the meeting, but will update the public afterwards.
1. Big-O properties (principal Mary Friedman, Bloomington) is requesting a 3-year tax abatement for a mixed-use project at 338 S Walnut Street. I have written about this project extensively before here (City Tax Abatement Request for Mixed Use Building 338 S Walnut St). They are coming back before the EDC because they are requesting to change the plan a bit — to reduce the amount of retail square footage on the ground floor from 2500sf to 1663sf to make room for bicycle storage (in order to make the bedroom to bicycle storage ratio 1:1). This abatement request will need to be approved by the City Council.
2. Cook Pharmica is requesting a 10-year personal property tax abatement for a significant expansion to their vial and syringe-filling business unit. They are proposing to invest $25M in new equipment, which will result in the creation of 70 new jobs, with $3.2M in new payroll. All wages would (and would be required to) be compliant with the City’s Living Wage Ordinance. The jobs would be created between 2015 and 2020. Cook Pharmica is also investing several million in the building to accommodate this expansion; however, they are only requesting the tax abatement on the personal property improvements (the equipment), not the real estate improvements.
The abatement is requested as a 70% abatement over 10 years. The 70% figure was chosen because Cook Pharmica could alternatively take advantage of an automatic 10-year Urban Enterprise Zone tax abatement, which also results in a net 70% savings on the personal property taxes resulting from their new investment, but distributes the remaining 30% to the Bloomington Urban Enterprise Association, the City’s Redevelopment Commission, and the Indiana Economic Development Corporation. Structuring their request as a 70% abatement on personal property tax instead keeps the 30% as being distributed to the taxing units serving the property (i.e., City of Bloomington, Monroe County, MCCSC, Monroe County Public Library, etc.). This abatement would need to be approved by the City Council.
3. Between 1986 and 2012, the City issued business loans through the Bloomington Investment and Incentive Fund (BIIF). There are 5 outstanding BIIF loans, of which 4 are current. The remaining loan was made to XfiniGen — a company that proposed to build the “next generation lithium batteries for large scale energy storage applications”, and proposed bringing 107 jobs to Bloomington. The company folded, and has left $37,464.07 in principal outstanding. Their last payment was in November 2013. The City is proposing that this remaining debt be written off, as there is little to no chance of collection. The memo in the packet about this situation provides some more detail about the company and the City’s attempts to collect the debt.
The full packet can be found here: Bloomington EDC Packet 2015-01-23